Saturday, August 02, 2008

Big Boy Bed

I decided that we need a change in the boys' rooms. They just have too many toys and no room to play. Jaxon's room had a crib and twin bed in it, and Sawyer had a crib in his room. His room is smaller and was our original nursery. I decide to try Sawyer out in the twin bed with a rail. We talked it up and he was very excited about it. The first night wasn't great, but he did alright. Ever since then it has been great. We switched his room with Jaxon's, and Sawyer loves his new "big boy room". I love that I can climb in bed with Sawyer, read books, and cuddle before he goes to sleep. It did make me a little sad, because he is not a baby anymore. Don't get me wrong. I love watching my children grow and learn new things, but I also miss the baby stage. Jaxon will be a year old next month. Time is flying.
Sawyer has not tried to climb out of his bed yet. He waits for me to come and get him. He can get in and out by himself, but he doesn't do it when he is supposed to be sleeping. I am thankful for that. He also got a new big boy haircut. Justin took him and I was surprised at how short it was. I had to hold back tears, but it is growing on me.
I organized Sawyer's toys to try and keep things neater. However, I did not think about the fact that Jaxon would be pulling everything down all day. I am trying to teach Sawyer to take one thing out at a time and put it in the correct bucket, but Jax doesn't quite get that.

This is totally unrelated, but kind of funny. I have been trying the love and logic approach to parenting the boys. One of the things I learned was when Sawyer does something wrong to show empathy with a statement and then give a consequence. Our empathy statement is "How Sad." Sawyer knows when we say this he will go to time out and he usually stops his negative behavior or runs the other way. Today I saw him push his brother, so I said "How Sad." He got up, ran over to me, and said "Yay! Time Out!" This was not exactly the response I was looking for. I think I like it better when he runs.

1 comment:

Shandra said...

that time out story was funny. some nights andrew will ask to go to time out b/c he doesn't want to go to bed.

sawyer's haircut looks cute. he is looking all grown up tho!!

i'm glad he's done so we'll w/ the bed! andrew didn't have a problem w/ it so i worry blake will test the limits!!