Friday, March 06, 2009

Entertaining Toddlers,I mean Entertaining One Toddler and One Big Kid

I am always thinking of ways to entertain my children. Sawyer would be happy to watch t.v. all day and Jax would love to spend the day tearing up our house. I don't like either of these ideas, so many times I try to come up with other things to keep them entertained and learning. Of course, I think free play is incredibly important and they do plenty of that. This week the boys have been learning about the letter T. I must say I didn't plan much for this week, but on Monday I had the idea to let the boys paint with toothbrushes and toothpaste. Hey, it starts with a t. I never would have imagined how much the boys would have liked it.
First, I let them paint the letter T and then a picture of teeth. After about half an hour of this I pried the toothbrush from Jaxon's hand because he did not want to stop. I then let them brush their own teeth, which is one of their favorite activities. I was happy that I thought of this quick, easy, and cheap means of entertainment.

I am really amazed at how much Sawyer is changing. Until recently I still thought of him as a toddler. I just don't know how and when he went from toddling around and saying "mama, mama." to running faster than me and saying things like, "Mama, you are a woman because you have curves." Yes, he really said that to me. The other day we were leaving the library when he said, "Mom, you forgot to buckle me in." I turned into the first parking lot I came to and it just happened to be the Curves parking lot. Then we had the following conversation.
S: Is this a restaurant?
Me: No, it isn't.
S: What is it?
Me: Curves
S: Can we go in?
Me:No.
S: Why not, mama? I want to go in.
Me: It is just for ladies.
S. I want to go in.
Me (driving off): Well, we can't right now.
S Mama, are you a lady?
Me: Yes, I am a lady.
S: Yep, you are a lady, because you have curves.
Me: Silence
How do you respond to that one?
I love my big boy. I love that I never know what to expect from him. Yesterday we were at the party store and he said, "Look at that cool CD. It's good entertainment."

I am just glad he is not too big for cuddles.

No comments: