Monday, November 10, 2008

Potty Training Pains

Sawyer is two and a half and really has no interest at all in using the potty. I have tried to make it look as glamorous as I can. I have offered treats in exchange for pee or poop in the potty. I have talked about all the wonderful people we know who use the potty. I bought Mickey Mouse Clubhouse underwear. I have been doing all of this for a while now. He has sat on the toilet a few times, but never put anything in it. He usually goes as soon as he gets up and runs to me saying he has to potty.

I decided this morning that since the boys are getting over colds it would be a good week to stay home. This way we won't spread our germs or get anyone else's. I thought since we would be home we could really work on potty training. After Sawyer ate breakfast I showed him his new underwear and talked about how great it would be to use the potty today. I was very positive and he was only a little bit resistant. I offered him lots of salty snacks and all the juice he could drink this morning. I set a timer and sat him on the potty every 15 minutes. He would sit and read for a while then get up and pee in his underwear. He had a couple of accidents which I expected. I didn't make a big deal about it and told him we would keep trying.

He finally put pee in the potty and I was so excited. I let him have a sucker and a sticker.He was so proud. He did this a couple more times. Poor guy was peeing all morning because of the unlimited juice. Sometimes he got lucky and it landed in the toilet. At about 11:00 he sat on the potty and didn't do anything, but wanted a sticker. I explained that he only got stickers when he put something in the potty. This was the beginning of his melt down. He finally settled down, then peed all over the floor. We were out of clean underwear by this time. Let me remind you that we had only been doing this for about 2 hours. I cleaned it up and tried to put a pull up on him. This is when the real meltdown began. He cried so hard!! I think he was just overwhelmed by it all. I was fighting back tears as I held him.

He really thrives on routine and structure. He likes to know what to expect and this whole using the potty thing is new and confusing. I feel the same way as he does. I don't know if I am being too lax about it or pushing too hard. Whew! The first day of this and we were both in tears. Jaxon was also crying. He didn't take a morning nap, which I am thankful for now, but was hard at the time. Oh, and I bleached a pair of my favorite pants when I was cleaning pee off the floor.

I know I need to be consistent, but I feel so defeated. I didn't expect this to be easy, but I didn't expect Sawyer to get so upset! I will stay postiive and hopefully my child will not wear diapers to kindergarten!Here he is after lunch sitting happily in a wet pull up, working on a craft.

5 comments:

Shandra said...

i feel your pain! i started andrew like that. had him going every 15 mins and he'd go every time i put him on it but wouldn't ever go on his own. he'd only go a little at a time too. so we stopped and once he was holding it for a longer period of times we tried again. good luck!!

Megan said...

if it makes you feel better jolie was over 3 when she finally decided to potty train. i bought a potty, read the books, & did what i could to make her ready, but in the end i waited on her. one day she woke up & used the potty & never looked back. so my advice is to wait & don't loose your sanity. he too will use the potty in his own time. i for one don't think wet pants & dirty floors are worth it!

Anonymous said...

awwww man... hug for my buddy, and for you. :) you should see if the same company that made that alphabet movie has a "potty training" themed movie too... or elmo! love you.. will call soon.

meredith said...

Thanks for the advice. I think we will take a break and wait on him. I am not worried about wet pants and floors, but I just hate forcing him. He is not ready and I know that, I just want him to be.

He does have an Elmo potty movie and he loves it, but it doesn't make him want to use the potty.

Shandra said...

we have that elmo movie and it grosses me out all the different ways they talk about #2! not sure why. probably a good idea to wait. it shouldn't be stressful!